Walking

Fourteen days of quarantine. Fourteen days of only leaving my room for meals and walks. To someone who is as extroverted as I am, I was upset by this news. I don't really enjoy being alone, and I was especially frustrated because I tested negative for COVID on Thursday. However, I know that anytime within fourteen days of exposure I could still turn positive for COVID, so I must hold the safety of those around me in higher regards than my own social life. 

Despite the loneliness that comes with quarantine, it has given me time to slow down in a semester that has felt like it was pedal to the metal since day one. On Friday I went on a long walk, mostly because walks are one of the only ways I can spend time outside of my room. Instead of going on a walk around campus, I took my usual route down Rogers and spent a lot of time on the Trinity. I don't think I've ever spent so much time solely on a walk. If I want outdoor exercise, I usually opt for a run because it offers more of a workout. But on this particular Friday I decided to be a Saunterer, to take in the nature around me and observe the changing colors of the leaves.

There's one tree in particular on the Trinity that fascinates me. Every fall it's one of the only trees along the trail that turns into a medley of fiery reds and oranges instead of a singular yellow or plain brown. I'm not sure why this tree is the only one that turns red, but its individuality along the trail makes it all the more breathtaking. I also think that it piques my interest because it turns colors in a gradual way. As you're walking along the trail towards Clearfork, the tree's leaves are as green as the rest of the trees along the trail. However, when you turn around to walk back towards Woodshed, your eyes are met with a tree that is full of reds and oranges. Every time I pass by the tree, I forget that it's the red tree until I'm making my way back towards campus. I think the vibrancy of the leaves' colors has something to do with the way the sun hits the leaves or the type of soil that the tree is planted in, but I'm no Diane Ackerman. While I was on the Trinity I was able to take pictures of the two opposing sides of the tree. I can't wait to see how it progresses as the fall season continues. I know I'll be more watchful of both sides of the tree, looking for its reds and oranges even on the slow-turning side. 


The slow-turning side of the tree.



The fast-turning side of the tree.







More tree pictures from my Friday walk!

Comments